Describe A Gift You Gave to Someone Recently

Speaking Topic: Gifts & Gift Giving
Describe a Gift You Bought for Someone
Talk about a gift that you gave to someone recently
How to describe a gift - Useful words
Describe a gift you would like to buy for your friend
Describe a gift you have received that was important to you


Describe a Gift You Bought for Someone

You should say:
- Who you bought the gift for
- What type of gift it was and why you chose it
- What the occasion was
And explain how the person felt about receiving the gift.

IELTS Cue Card

Sample Answer

As an ardent believer in the joy of giving, I have a particular fondness for giving presents to my loved ones, be it for special occasions or just because. I recently had the pleasure of selecting a gift for my younger sister's birthday, which was quite an exciting task for me.

She had been hinting at wanting a new cell phone recently, often admiring the latest models in the market, and complaining about her outdated device. Hence, I decided that a Sony mobile phone would be the perfect gift for her. After much contemplation and research, I settled on the Sony Experia Z, a hot one in the Android operating system world. What made it an attractive choice was the water-resistant feature, a quality my sister would find incredibly useful, given her tendency to carry her phone everywhere, come rain or shine. Moreover, the phone has an excellent camera that takes quality photographs, adding another feather to its cap since my sister loves photography.

The surprise on her face when she opened the present was truly priceless. The bewildering joy and appreciation in her eyes were the best return gift I could have asked for. The phone wasn't just a practical present; it was something she had longed for and something that would bring her joy and convenience in her daily life.

Our family members have long-standing gift giving customs, giving presents on birthdays, Christmas, and other major celebrations like weddings or graduation days. But for me, the best part about giving gifts isn't tied to any particular occasion. It's about the unexplainable pleasure that comes with selecting the perfect gift, the excitement of imagining their reaction, and the satisfaction of knowing you've added a little happiness to someone's day. It's the same pleasure as when you receive a perfect gift yourself!

In my opinion, giving gifts is so much more than just a transfer of objects. It's a gesture that communicates a person's love and consideration for the other. It's about showing the recipient that they are valued and cherished. Whether it's a big-ticket item like a cell phone or a simple, thoughtful book, what truly counts in gift-giving is the sentiment behind it. In this case, the gift I gave my little sister wasn't just an upgrade on her old device; it was a symbol of my affection and a wish for her happiness.

To conclude, I guess I enjoy giving gifts as much as, if not more than, receiving gifts. And I believe that's the beauty of gift-giving; it's an act that benefits the giver as much as the receiver, creating a beautiful cycle of joy and appreciation.

And so getting a water resistant cell phone for my younger sister recently game me as much pleasure as it did her.



Talk about a gift that you gave to someone recently

You should say:
- what the gift was
- when it was given
- whom you gave it to
And say how you felt about it.

IELTS Candidate Task Card

IELTS Speaking Part 2 Questions

Model Answer

Last month it was my mother’s birthday and so one of the gifts I gave her was something a little different from the kind of thing I would normally give her on such occasions.

Recently, my mother has been working very long hours and complaining about feeling tired and exhausted with everything she does.

So I thought it would be nice for her to have some time off from all the routine things she does and to get away for a while – a sort of escape.

I arranged with my sister to organize a weekend away at a luxury spa hotel for our mother and her best friend as a gift.

We arranged for her to be picked up and driven there, where she spent the weekend with her friend relaxing and enjoying the spa facilities.

The package we purchased included things like a deep-tissue massage, seaweed wrap, and other spa treatments and the spa location had a swimming pool and other facilities for her and her friend to enjoy over the weekend.

The idea we had was that she would be able to relax and not have to worry about doing anything for a couple of days.

She wouldn’t have to work, prepare meals or worry about anybody else – just have some quality time with her friend and enjoy something different – and be pampered.

My sister and I thought it was a good idea, but honestly, when we thought about it originally, we had no idea that our mother would enjoy it so much.

She came back positively radiant, happy, and smiling and told us she would love to go back again - with us.

Apparently, she had a great time and thoroughly enjoyed the whole weekend, and she thought the spa and hotel were wonderful. She took pictures of everything to show us when she got back. So I guess we made a good choice of gift.

It was something she would never have done for herself – as a gift, it was something special for her, and that was the most important.

Now we’re all looking forward to her birthday next year when we’ll all go together – I think we might have started a new birthday tradition.



How would you describe a gift you recently gave to someone?

How to describe a gift - Useful words


thoughtful - generous - creative - fun - impressive - sentimental - unique - practical - useful - precious - meaningful - special

Different types of gifts people give

Gifts for a special occasion

  • A gift for a birthday
  • A gift for an anniversary
  • A gift for a wedding
  • A gift for a baby shower
  • A gift for a graduation
  • Gifts "just because"

  • A thank you gift
  • A get-well soon gift
  • Describe a gift you would like to buy for your friend

    I would love to buy my friend a nice piece of jewelry. Something elegant yet not too flashy. Maybe a simple gold necklace or a pretty bracelet.

    I think jewelry is always a special and memorable gift, especially when it's something that the recipient can wear and enjoy every day. I know my friend would appreciate something like this very much!

    Why would you like to buy this gift?

    I think it would mean a lot to my friend to receive something like this as a gift. She is always so kind and caring, and I know that she would appreciate the thought behind it. Plus, I think she would love to have a new piece of jewelry to add to her collection!

    When would you give your friend the gift?

    I guess I would choose a special day or moment to give this gift to my friend. Maybe her birthday or a holiday like Christmas? She loves to receive gifts it as a surprise!

    Do you have a budget in mind?

    I don't really have a set budget - but I would want to find something that is affordable without sacrificing quality. I know my friend would love and appreciate whatever I choose to get her!

    Follow up Questions

    What is the importance of gifts in your country.

    Well, there are the normal occasions which are important. For example, birthdays, graduations, and weddings are the big special days in most people’s lives. Giving gifts is also important at other times, such as when someone starts a business or retires from work maybe.

    I suppose the event sort of dictates the type of gift you might give someone, but it also depends on the person. I don’t think it’s any more important to give gifts in this country than in other countries – I guess it’s the same probably all over the world.

    The gifts might be different but the occasions when we actually give gifts are probably similar in many other places.

    What kind of gifts do you like to give?

    That’s difficult to say, just one type of gift, because the gift will depend on the circumstances, you know, the occasion or event, the person I’m giving the gift to, their age, and other things such as if they are family, how well I know them and what they like.

    But in general, I try to get people something personal if I know them well.

    What is the role of advertisements in the gifts industry?

    Well, obviously there are certain events each year when there are more advertisements for gifts and gift ideas than normal, for example, at Christmas, Valentine’s Day and other such times.

    But the role they play is quite simple – it is to encourage and motivate people to buy gifts for their family and friends, to spend their money on certain products so that the companies that produce those products can sell more of them.

    It’s just marketing, after all - it’s all designed to sell more products.



    Describe a gift you have received that was important to you

    A few years ago, my grandfather gave me an old pocket watch that had been passed down through our family for generations. It was an amazing gift because not only was it a beautiful and intricate piece, but it also represented our family's history. I cherish that gift and keep it safe in my home.

    Why did he give the gift to you?

    I'm not sure why my grandfather chose to give me the pocket watch specifically, but I think it might have had something to do with the fact that I am the eldest grandson. In our family, the first born son or daughter usually inherits any special family heirlooms, so the pocket watch may have been seen as something of an inheritance. Regardless of the reason, I'm incredibly grateful to have received such a meaningful gift.

    Do you still have it?

    Yes, I still have the pocket watch and take good care of it. It's not something that I wear regularly, but I occasionally take it out to look at and appreciate it. It's a beautiful reminder of my family and our history together.

    Can you describe the pocket watch?

    The pocket watch is a gold-plated timepiece with a delicate chain attached. The face of the watch is engraved with a floral design and the initials "J.W." (presumably for my grandfather, John William). The back of the watch also has an inscription with my grandfather's name and the date "June 6, 1944" - which was D-Day, the Allies' invasion of Normandy during World War II. My grandfather was a veteran of that war, so the pocket watch holds a great deal of personal significance for me.

    How would you answer these IELTS Speaking Test questions about gifts?

  • What was the last gift you bought?
  • What was the last gift you gave someone?
  • What was the best gift which you gave to someone?
  • What made you choose that particular gift?
  • Describe a time when you gave a gift to someone
  • Describe a gift you bought for someone recently
  • Describe a present you have given someone
  • Describe a special gift you gave to someone
  • Describe a gift that you gave to someone recently
  • Describe a gift you recently gave to someone



  • Related

  • Describe an item of clothing you received as a gift recently
  • Talk about a product you received for free as a gift when you purchased an item
  • Describe a trip you would like to do in the future